DMS Alumni – Dr. Amin Ilia

Dr. Amin Ilia graduated from DMS with a Ph.D. degree in physical oceanography in 2021, supervised by Dr. James O’Donnell. Currently working as a civil engineer, he shared his working experience in both the industry and academia afterwards with current graduate student Mengyang Zhou.

Mengyang: Can you share your research during your PhD, and any highlights you want to share?

Amin: During my Ph.D., my research focused on analyzing the parameters influencing wave climatology in a fetch-limited environment such as Long Island Sound, I also explored the effectiveness of wave-induced turbulence in mixing within summer stratified profiles. The pivotal discovery was the significance of white capping dissipation in defining wave climatology in a large estuary like Long Island Sound. Furthermore, my investigations revealed that wave turbulence does not play a critical role in the mixing of water profiles in the western region of Long Island Sound. The outcomes of my research are encapsulated in five published papers, with three as the lead author and two as a co-author (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Amin-Ilia). These publications contribute valuable insights to the field. Beyond the academic achievements, my Ph.D. journey was enriched by memorable moments shared with the faculty, staff, and students in the Department of Marine Sciences at UConn.

Mengyang: Can you tell us your career after PhD? I know you worked for a company in California, how was that experience?

Amin: Working at CoreLogic in California was a valuable experience. While the position was a high-level position with competitive compensation, my involvement was primarily centered around one project, limiting opportunities to engage with broader topics. Desiring more diverse project contributions, I made the decision to leave the role.

Mengyang: And can you tell us about your current job, and how did your PhD prepare for it?

Amin: I am currently working as a contractor employee with NOAA, collaborating with accomplished scientists in the field. However, the job does not align entirely with my expectations, prompting me to start a new position soon. Having a Ph.D. degree presents both advantages and disadvantages for industry careers. On the positive side, it provides a technical edge, fosters innovative thinking, and enhances adaptability. However, there are drawbacks, such as the potential narrowing of expertise compared to individuals with extensive industry experience, who often possess a broader skill set sought after in certain industry roles.

Mengyang: Were there any challenges during COVID time?

Amin: Adjusting to remote work during the initial stages of the COVID-19 pandemic presented challenges. As I began my post-Ph.D. career, the shift to remote work was new for me and others, creating initial hurdles. However, the work environment has since adapted to this new norm, with improvements in remote communication. The move to remote/hybrid work arrangements also offers various benefits for both employees and employers, including time savings from eliminating commutes.

Mengyang: Do you have any advice for current students who want to pursue a career in industry or academia, based on your own experience?

Amin: Developing a robust professional network is a strategic approach to navigating and improving your career. By actively expanding your network, you not only increase your chances of discovering more favorable career opportunities but also enhance your overall professional prospects. Additionally, directing your focus towards topics with practical applications in your intended career path can serve as a proactive step in equipping yourself with the relevant skills and knowledge. Therefore, investing time in both broadening your professional connections and developing expertise in relevant areas will undoubtedly contribute to a more resilient and promising future in your field.